Susan Barratt, CEO of insight provider IGD, addresses industry leaders at ShopTalk Europe
With 40% of shoppers forecast to be in fuel poverty by the end of the year, IGD anticipates shoppers will be focusing more on value for money in the coming months over shopping sustainably.
Taking to the stage at ShopTalk Europe this afternoon, IGD CEO Susan Barratt explores this shift and how industry can play its part in keeping sustainability high on the shopper agenda.
“Shoppers are having a hard time of it right now. We know from our ShopperVista data that sustainability is an important topic to shoppers, but the cost-of-living crisis is already impacting the trade-offs between affordability and sustainable shopping.
“While we can see this shift in behaviours starting to take effect, it’s still early enough in the day for industry to really engage on the issue and take steps to show shoppers that sustainable shopping doesn’t have to come at a price premium.
“This is a time for industry to lead on sustainability. IGD’s collaborative programmes are proving that industry can help consumers make informed choices and reduce costs for business and consumers, so we encourage businesses to join us in this work to make sustainable shopping a way of life for shoppers.”
We mobilise the industry to tackle climate change, reduce food waste, increase food surplus redistribution and develop sustainable packaging systems, to work towards our ambition of accelerating progress towards a sustainable food system. Businesses are invited to join IGD’s sustainability programmes at igd.com/sustainability
For media enquiries please contact Alexandra Crisp at [email protected]
Notes to editors
- IGD is an organisation of two interconnected communities. The profits from Commercial Insight are reinvested into Social Impact, which together work to drive change that makes a tangible difference for society, business and the individual.
Commercial Insight is delivered through six core areas:
- Retail Analysis – providing trusted data and insight, straight from the heart of retail;
- ShopperVista – providing insight that creates the foundation for progressive shopper and category thinking;
- Events – providing compelling experiences that connect people and ideas together;
- MarketTrack – the most trusted, rigorous market read in the retail sector;
- Supply Chain Analysis – providing answers and unlocking potential;
- Solutions – personalised solutions that address the critical customer and commercial challenges.
Social Impact from IGD is delivered in four key areas:
- People - focussed on giving young people opportunities to develop their employability and life skills, and on building the knowledge and capability of food and consumer goods industry colleagues, to foster an inclusive and productive workforce;
- Health - nutrition experts use the latest research and behavioural science to develop practical tools that help the whole industry. IGD is collaborating with and inspiring companies to adopt best practice and implement change;
- Sustainability - focused on mobilising the industry to tackle climate change, reduce food waste, increase food surplus redistribution, develop sustainable packaging systems and accelerate the industry’s progress towards Net Zero;
- Economics - supporting better strategic planning and decision making, for the benefit of consumers, through economic analysis and engagement with policy makers.
- All content is owned by IGD. If you use or refer to any content in this press release, please credit IGD