The food and grocery industry is growing, with jobs to suit everyone. Our fast-paced and diverse industry, has opportunities for all qualification levels, including in-demand STEM skills within Science, Technology, Engineering and Analytics.
Join our virtual work experience week to gain skills and experience to add to your CV, and expand your network, by interacting with industry professionals.
Throughout the week you'll have the opportunity to:
Listen - Gain insights from leaders of big brand and retailers
Engage - Ask questions and find out how to get ahead in your career
Create - Take part in projects and pitch your ideas to senior leaders.
How does the programme work?
IGD’s work experience takes place over the course of a week. It is comprised of:
- Daily live masterclasses that take place Monday to Friday, 10.30am to 12 midday
- An optional project task that is completed during the week
Everyone joins the Monday and Friday morning sessions. You can then choose a masterclass that interests you on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. You can also attend all five masterclasses if you want to!
There are three project briefs to choose from:
Health – Pitch an idea and marketing campaign for a new plant-based snack
Sustainability – Pitch an idea for a re-usable packaging solution for a well-known product
Technology – Pitch an idea to apply new or emerging technology to solve an in-store customer challenge
Projects are optional and we do not expect you to have any previous knowledge or experience. But we would encourage everyone to do a project! It is a great opportunity to develop your skills and gain feedback.
- Daily sessions are delivered via GoTo Webinar and your camera/mic will remain switched off
- You can submit questions for our professional’s but only our facilitator can see these
- Projects are completed on an individual basis.
When are the work experience weeks and who can take part?
The next work experience week is taking place 08-12 and registrations are now open!
Our weeks are designed to provide support for young people (under 25) who are unemployed. If you are over 18 and in education, you can take part but please ensure you can attend the live masterclasses during the week.
To part in the 08-12 Nov week:
- Register using the form at the top of this page
- We will send you a confirmation email. If you do not receive one, please check your spam folder, then email [email protected] so we can check the email address you provided
- We will be in touch (by email) before the programme starts with further details and access to the week.
Can secondary schools and colleges take part?
Yes. Our weeks are open to students in Year 10, Year 11 and Sixth-form or Further Education. Teachers and Careers Leaders must register their students to take part in the 08-12 November week:
- Schools and Colleges please go to IGD’s Educator Hub - if you have not visited the Hub before, you will be prompted to register once. It is free.
- Via the Educator Hub, you can then register your interest to participate in all our programmes. We will be in touch to confirm places and provide further details about taking part.
How does it work?
Monday: Industry Insight Masterclass
Hear from senior leaders about future trends and opportunities in this exciting fast-paced industry. Choose a project brief to gain hands on experience of real industry challenges and get advice on how to deliver a winning pitch!
Tuesday: Marketing and Sales
Thursday: IT & Digital
Q&A with industry professionals to learn about their jobs, career journeys and the skills they use at work. Get the insights you need to create a winning project.
Friday: Employability Skills Masterclass
Ask employers your questions about virtual applications. Take part in an interview skills masterclass and reflect on your skills and talent.
“If you’re given the opportunity to participate in this virtual work experience, I seriously recommend it. It’s been extremely helpful for me and I am thankful to everyone involved and the guest speakers for really helping me feel confident about my future.”
Chloe, February week participant