Businesses trading with the EU should be prepared for the introduction of further border controls on the following dates:
- 29 July – New Export Health Certificates (EHCs) available from the EU, covering all Products of Animal Origin (POAO) and Composite products
- 21 August – New model of EHCs is required for POAO exported to the EU, following the end of the transitionary arrangements allowing the use of current EHCs
- 21 August – New EHCs must be used for all movement of POAO from GB to the EU and Northern Ireland
- 30 September – The grace period for sending certain Prohibited & Restricted goods (P&Rs) from GB to NI ends
- 1 October – POAO and all regulated plants and plant products will require pre-notification and health documentation to be imported into the UK.
- 1 October – End of the grace period for supermarkets and their suppliers moving goods into Northern Ireland. The start of a phased introduction of the Export Health Certificates for POAO exported to Northern Ireland from GB.
- 1 January 2022 - Safety and Security Declarations for imports required. Physical checks required at Border Control Posts (BCPs) for POAO and certain animal by-products, and High Risk Food Not Of Animal Origin. Physical SPS checks of high risk plants also to take place at BCPs. Pre-notification requirements and documentary checks required for low risk plants and plant products.
Complete customs declarations for imports to the UK will be required. Importers may no longer defer making declarations. Tariffs will become payable at the moment of import.
- 1 March 2022 – Physical checks at BCPs for live animals and low risk plants and plant products.
The UK government has issued guidance specifically for food and drink businesses.
You can register here for upcoming webinars from Department for International Trade and the Parliamentary Export Programme on trading with the EU.
IGD has also provided additional support to help businesses with EU Exit. Businesses may also wish to refer to the EU EXIT Foodhub, an FAQ website for food and drink businesses
Sign up to our weekly bulletin to receive the latest FMCG focused economic and political news straight to your inbox.
More economic news and analysis
Sign up to our bulletin
Our round-up of the latest economic and political news, focused on FMCGs