Extensively revised and updated! This two-day course will help you meet the current challenges in category management and prepare you for the future.
It provides the tools, processes and skills required to develop compelling channel or customer category growth plans that will deliver profitable growth for your organisation.
The workshop brings end-to-end strategic category management to life using an engaging, practical and interactive combination of facilitated learning and our unique category management business simulation model.
Will your team be crowned the category management champions?
You will work in groups for the simulation. This provides feedback on the impact of your decisions and creates a fun and competitive element to the two days.
It’s aimed at category managers, trade marketing managers, commercial managers or marketing managers who have had previous experience of category management and want to develop their strategic category management capability and improve their influence with their retail partners.
What is gained from attending?
- An in-depth understanding of the IGD six-step category management process, and use the process across the two days using our category management simulation
- The ability to use a broad range of complex data sources as part of an end-to-end process to develop compelling shopper insights
- An understanding of how shopper insights will inform the category opportunities and strategies that will underpin your category growth plans
- The skills needed to turn your plans and strategies into clear and effective category tactics that can be implemented to maximise profitability and return on investment
- A better understanding of the retailer’s needs and expectations of strategic category relationships to better tailor your approach and initiatives
- The knowledge to develop compelling category-based commercial propositions
- The competence to apply a more commercial focus to category projects and proposals
- A range of new category management tools and techniques
- Understand the current focus of category management and how this will change over the next few years
What key skills are covered?
- Applying a systematic process to all your category management projects
- Processing an extensive, diverse set of data into a coherent strategy and plan
- Developing category tactics that are better aligned to deliver the category vision, strategies and objectives, including ranging, layout and promotions.
- Building compelling category commercial proposals that better deliver retailers’ needs.
- Devising business questions, using data to create insights, activating decision trees, improving category strategies, aligning category tactics to strategies, category scorecards, forming compelling proposals, implementing and evaluating category plans
What practices are involved?
This workshop uses a combination of facilitated learning and our unique category management business simulation model to record and illustrate the impact of your decisions on category performance and profit.
Sharing of IGD category management research to understand the needs, expectations and frustrations of current collaborative category management, and discover how this will evolve over the upcoming years.
It incorporates a high level of category decision making informs the inputs for a real-life category that are applied to the business simulation model.
A series of category reports will enable you to understand the potential impacts of your decisions and course-correct as you endeavour to drive profitable category growth and deliver your category objectives.
You will have the opportunity to understand how your decisions impact the target shoppers and financial KPIs as well as looking at a range of alternative approaches.
This is an opportunity to build your confidence in category management decision-making through developing and executing your category strategies and tactics in a safe and risk-free learning environment with a like-minded group.
Developed in association with Do>Learn>Do.