Client: McColl’s, a UK convenience store chain
- To explore the concept of time (value placed on time, c-stores vs other channels for time spent shopping)
- How mission types differ by channel
- How convenience is becoming a local hub beyond grocery
How we helped:
- 1,811 online diary surveys – shoppers recorded each trip to a food and grocery store over a week. These covered all shopping trips to convenience stores and other channels including larger stores, online, food discount and variety discount
- 300 shoppers took part, providing in-the-moment feedback on issues ranging from missions, time spent shopping vs travelling, satisfaction, categories purchased, levels of impulse purchasing and more…
- Accompanied shopping trips, intercepts and observations – observing shopper behavior, intercepting shoppers in-store to ask key questions, and conducting interviews among pre-recruited shoppers as they shopped different convenience stores.
“We were delighted to work with IGD on this project. We believe that time is becoming an ever more important part of the value equation and IGD worked with our brief to help us really understand the shoppers’ view on how they value their time. Drawing on their own extensive shopper data, and some specially commissioned research, IGD were able to provide new insight to demonstrate why, in our increasingly time-pressured lives, the convenience channel is such an exciting growth opportunity. The feedback from our stakeholders has been very positive and this project has helped us to provide real thought leadership.”
Jonathan Miller, CEO, McColl’s
Our team of 40 industry experts, trainers and facilitators have extensive experience in creating and delivering a range of customised solutions. If you'd like to tap into our extensive expertise to get the specific business solutions or training you need, talk to us.