Reducing Wasted Miles Working Group
As the largest sector in the UK, our industry has a responsibility to the general public to reduce wasted miles. The group has been established to help the industry further remove unnecessary and wasted transport miles from the roads. The group is made up of supply chain and logistics managers and directors with both operational and strategic responsibility from both manufacturers and retailers.
The need for change in the industry has never been greater. Challenges include; rising costs from complexity, fragmentation of demand resulting in smaller, more frequent deliveries at the same time as rising congestion, fewer HGV drivers and environmental pressures. All have the potential for legislative interventions.
Deliverables in 2017 included:
- Recruitment of a new Reducing Wasted Miles working group specifically focused on delivery of an innovative and ambitious pilot project
- Following up action plans generated in 2016 to understand in depth how companies are progressing with Reducing Wasted Miles
- Creating and delivering the innovative pilot
Areas of focus in 2018
The working group aims to continue the momentum generated with the pilot project of 2017, sharing findings and identifying new collaborative opportunities for the Reducing Wasted Miles initiative. This work will focus on:
- Publishing recommendations from the 2017 pilot and updating the Reducing Wasted Miles thought leadership report to reflect 2018 priorities
- Creating practical opportunities for companies to reduce road miles through an industry workshop