IGD's food science summer schools were developed to address the skills gap and attract bright young talent.
Young scientists are given the opportunity to understand the role of science in food and to make them aware of the exciting career opportunities in the industry.
- Since 2010, we have welcomed over 1,200 students to the summer schools
- In 2019, 100% of students who attended improved their knowledge about food science and its’ role in the industry, and 87% of students stated they would like a future career working in the industry following the summer school
Who can apply?
If you are in year 12 and interested in science and food, this summer school is for you! Each university has their own application form and the places are free.
What will students do?
Each summer school has a different programme, giving you the opportunity to understand the significant role science plays in the food and grocery industry and the exciting career opportunities available once you graduate.
You will get to:
Experience a two-night residential stay at your preferred university
- Develop your skills by conducting experiments in fully equipped labs
- Have a go at developing new products
- Meet professionals in the industry
- Hear first-hand about science careers in the food industry
- Go behind the scenes with farm or factory visits
How do I apply?
for 2020 will be open in Spring 2020. Please re-visit this page next year for
further details. If you have any questions about the programme, please
I’m from industry, how can I get
Universities are always looking to
the industry to get involved in the summer schools. You can help by either
hosting or organising activities at the summer school, host site visits or
provide funding for student places.
you would like more information about the food science summer schools and
what's involved in sponsoring one, please email