Article list

28 June 2021
The Bank of England has released data from the latest phase of its long-running Decision-Makers’ Panel study (DMP), which gauges the views of influential business leaders. The data shows that businesses expect most furloughed employees to return to regular work over Q3 2021 and that the intention to employ new workers is growing. This is, in many ways, a positive finding – increasin...
25 June 2021
This short video is ideal for new managers looking for practical tips on how to create an inclusive, safe, and innovative culture within their team. Explore the key questions that will help you unlock change and bring your team along the journey with you, and takeaway a simple framework to help you structure your approach with confidence. How do you create the right environment f...
25 June 2021
Creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace is a key part of most organisations’ agendas, but many people may worry about not always getting it right in their own interactions with others. Watch the video to boost your confidence. In this short but impactful video you will be coached through: Examples of what fear-based thinking looks like to help you recognise it in yourself...
22 June 2021
Your overview of political and economic news with a focus on the food and consumer goods industry, featuring the latest developments and guidance on COVID-19 and adapting to a new relationship with the EU. Lockdown restrictions continue In announcing a delay to the lifting of lockdown restrictions until 19 July the Prime Minister noted that the government will monitor the position...
22 June 2021
The newly emerging ‘quick commerce’ channel – which delivers food and groceries to consumers in less than one hour and often sub-30 minutes – is currently worth £1.4bn according to a new report from IGD, the insight and analysis providers for the food and consumer goods industry. The report, which is part one of a series that looks at the size, scope and growth of the new channel, also reveals...
22 June 2021
Annual inflation in the UK has accelerated significantly, moving from +1.6% in April to +2.1% in May, by the CPIH method. This is the highest level for over two years. This is just above the Bank of England’s “target” rate of +2.0% - the Bank has forecast that inflation will rise over 2021, but gives assurance that this will probably be temporary, reducing the case for corrective actio...
22 June 2021
Trade talks between Australia and the UK are progressing and a free trade agreement has been agreed “in principal”. If ratified, the deal will be the first that the UK has negotiated “from scratch” in the post-EU period. The UK government has published some detail and has begun to promote the benefits in the mainstream media.   This is a strategically-important deal for the UK...
15 June 2021
Your overview of political and economic news with a focus on the food and consumer goods industry, featuring the latest developments and guidance on COVID-19 and adapting to a new relationship with the EU. COVID-19 unlocking delayed Yesterday the Prime Minister announced a 4-week pause at step 3 of the roadmap out of lockdown. The government previously stated that 21 June would se...
15 June 2021
Experimental ONS / HMRC research, based on information from HMRC, gives a “real time” view of what is happening in the UK labour market. In the latest edition , there is reason for optimism: the number of employees in the UK is rising from the low point reached in November 2020 and monthly pay is also rising (although provisional data for April suggests that pay growth may have faltered...
15 June 2021
ONS has released results of research into working habits and preferences in the post-Covid period. It is based on surveys carried out in April and May 2021. In this research, 10% of workers said that they normally worked from home before Covid arrived. Of the other 90% , who did have a regular workplace, about half now expect to work from home in future, at least sometimes. There...