IGD partners with climate solutions expert South Pole to help the food and consumer goods industry take positive, tangible steps towards Net Zero
With its ambition to accelerate progress towards a sustainable food system, IGD is today launching its brand-new guide, Building your Net Zero roadmap: a guide for industry leaders and decision makers.
The UK government has committed to achieving Net Zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, and an increasing number of UK food and consumer goods businesses and industry organisations are committing to Net Zero by 2040. IGD has partnered with leading climate solutions provider South Pole to create this new guide, which is designed to help business leaders and decision-makers kick start their own Net Zero journey.
There is a huge opportunity for businesses of all sizes to innovate and lead the UK’s transition to a Net Zero economy. IGD is uniquely placed to bring people and different parts of the industry together, helping everyone to build knowledge, reach consensus and co-create solutions to the complex challenges faced. The guide includes the business case for urgent action and a new framework for building a robust Net Zero strategy, including how to make a start and build momentum.
Susan Barratt, CEO of IGD, said: “Climate change is one of the greatest challenges facing the world.
“Having spoken with many leaders and decision-makers, from businesses of all sizes across our industry’s supply chain, we know there is a huge appetite to innovate and lead our industry’s transition to a Net Zero economy. We also know that for many businesses it’s not always clear where to start the journey. We hope you find this guide inspiring and helpful in driving action in your business and through your supply chain.”
Renat Heuberger, CEO of South Pole, said: “With a base of over 5,000 food and consumer goods companies, IGD and its members are well-positioned to lead a transformative change in the food and beverage industry. We were delighted to have co-developed this guide with IGD to provide the tools for meaningful climate action by their members.”
IGD is encouraging businesses from across industry to use this guide, to make a start, build momentum and achieve a leadership position on their journey towards Net Zero. Companies can contact IGD for more information, best practice guidance and to share their Net Zero journey progress at [email protected].
Find out more at igd.com.
For media enquiries and interview opportunities please contact Sarah Burns on [email protected] or 07483 094027.
Notes to editors:
- IGD is an organisation of two interconnected communities. The profits from Commercial Insight are reinvested into Social Impact, which together work to drive change that makes a tangible difference for society, business and the individual.
Social Impact from IGD is delivered in four key areas:
Commercial Insight is delivered through six core areas:
- People – focussed on giving young people opportunities to develop their employability and life skills, and on building the knowledge and capability of food and consumer goods industry colleagues, to foster an inclusive and productive workforce;
- Health – nutrition experts use the latest research and behavioural science to develop practical tools that help the whole industry. IGD is collaborating with and inspiring companies to adopt best practice and implement change;
- Sustainability – focused on mobilising the industry to tackle climate change, reduce food waste, increase food surplus redistribution, develop sustainable packaging systems and accelerate the industry’s progress towards Net Zero;
- Economics – supporting better strategic planning and decision making, for the benefit of consumers, through economic analysis and engagement with policy makers.
- Retail Analysis – providing trusted data and insight, straight from the heart of retail;
- ShopperVista – providing insight that creates the foundation for progressive shopper and category thinking;
- Events – providing compelling experiences that connect people and ideas together;
- MarketTrack – the most trusted, rigorous market read in the retail sector;
- Supply Chain Analysis – providing answers and unlocking potential;
- Solutions – personalised solutions that address the critical customer and commercial challenges.
- All content is owned by IGD. If you use or refer to any content in this press release, please credit IGD
- Follow us on Twitter: @fromIGD
- South Pole is an award-winning project developer and leading provider of advisory solutions to address the climate, water, biodiversity and plastic emergencies. With over 500 experts in 20 offices worldwide, South Pole helps companies, capital markets, and governments reduce their impact on the climate and the environment – all while mitigating risk and creating value. South Pole has deep expertise in sustainable food systems and helps organisations across the entire value chain – from farms to restaurants and retailers – to understand and address their impact. Over the past 15 years, South Pole has mobilised climate finance to 1,000 projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions in areas such as renewable energy, energy efficiency and sustainable land use. For more information, visit www.southpole.com or follow South Pole on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.