About IGD past and present
IGD has come a long way since the time, over a hundred years ago, a group of grocery retailers in the UK came together to improve and develop professional standards and deliver training in grocery management. We've evolved to cover the whole of the supply chain to become IGD as we know it today - here for everyone.
IGD is a research and training charity which sits at the heart of the food and consumer goods industry. It has a trading subsidiary that provides commercial services. The profits from these commercial services fund the charity.”
Our insights help the industry improve the way it works. We offer intelligence on shoppers, retailing and supply chains, and on wider issues such as health, nutrition, sustainability and economics. And we gain those insights through our position at the heart of the industry, collaborating with retailers, manufacturers, primary producers and service providers to understand and address big issues. All our research outputs are publicly available.
Our charitable work
We're proud to put the net income we earn from our wholly-owned trading subsidiary back into our charitable activities.
- IGD's Feeding Britain's Future programme brings the industry together to inspire the next generation and equip them with skills for work in the food and grocery industry. Over 10,000 young people attended a workshop in 2017
- IGD learning offers a range of learning opportunities to support people throughout their career journey in the food and grocery industry. Much of our training is delivered free through Leading Edge and our online on-demand learning hub. Some 17,000 learning opportunities were delivered in 2017
- We lead working groups, where companies collaborate through training or research for the benefit of the public. Over 50 companies are currently involved in IGD working groups. They are free to attend, open to all, and all findings are shared on our website
- We lead the Efficient Consumer Response (ECR) forum in the UK, and support it across Europe. Through training and research, the aim is to fulfil consumer wishes better, faster and at less cost. Almost 300 supply chain professionals matched up in cross-company supply chain mentoring partnerships.
Our commercial services
Designed around you
If you have unique needs, we can meet them. We deliver around 200 customised research projects or boardroom briefings for clients each year. Each customised service can give you the answers and help you need to achieve the results you want by drawing on our insights and expertise. Call on our solutions services
for your business.
To help shape your business strategies and plans, and to get up-to-date information for your next meeting, you can access our online subscription services
. You'll gain insights from our research teams who gather market intelligence on over 400 grocery retailers, track innovation and talk to thousands of shoppers.
Our events throughout the year bring you the latest best practice, insights and news from across the food and grocery industry:
- Specialist summits: learn more about topics including category management and shopper marketing, online and digital, and wholesaling
- Trade briefings: stay up to date with the latest news and strategies from senior retail figures and teams
- IGD Awards: gain industry-wide recognition and the chance to network with key players in the food and grocery industry